The Southern Illinois Metropolitan Planning Organization (SIMPO) was created to perform and carry out a continuing, cooperative and comprehensive transportation planning process for the Carbondale Urbanized Area in accordance with applicable federal laws, policies and procedures, and with the cooperation and assistance of its members and the U.S. Department of Transportation. Unless otherwise specified by the subsequent amendments to MAP-21, the duties of SIMPO shall include:
- Providing a forum for cooperative transportation planning and decision-making, and establishing a public involvement process that ensures opportunities for early and continuing involvement of local governmental units, transit operators, and the general public in the review and evaluation of all transportation plans and programs.
- Formulating, approving, and periodically updating a multi-modal transportation plan for the metropolitan area which shall conform to all applicable federal requirements and schedules to make more efficient use of existing and proposed transportation systems.
- Formulating and annually approving the Transportation Improvement Program (“TIP”) for the metropolitan planning area, which shall cover a period of not less than three (3) years consistent with the transportation plan.
- Complying with all applicable federal, State, and local laws, policies, and federal requirements regarding transportation planning and programming.
- Formulating and annually approving a transportation planning work program which shall identify all transportation-related planning activities funded with State and federal financial aids and technical assistance, including transit planning and programming, in accordance with the provisions of this Agreement.
- Other planning and project development activities necessary to address transportation issues in the metropolitan planning area.
The work of SIMPO will be guided by the Policy Committee, which shall have final authority over all matters within the jurisdiction of SIMPO. A Technical Committee will be established for the purpose of providing technical advice and recommendations to the Policy Committee and conducting or overseeing the technical planning functions and duties of SIMPO. An Advisory Committee will be formed and will include non-voting members from federal and State transportation agencies and other interest groups, and shall be established for the purpose of providing technical assistance, as needed, to the Technical and Policy Committees on all transportation and related issues. For administrative purposes, Greater Egypt Regional Planning and Development Commission shall serve as the local Lead Agency.